Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day Draw




Thank you so much for stopping by to let me know how you feel about the applique mystery quilt along. I am happy to share this journey with you; and hope to see more photos of your finished blocks.

I do love seeing and hearing about your journey... and am certainly surprised and pleased to see so many quilters trying fused applique for the first time.




This technique was the first one I tried in a quilting class; and have loved it ever since. As I am not keen on hand stitching or doing large size quilts; fused applique gives me the perfect opportunity to apply my style of creativity to smaller projects that can be displayed in a variety of ways.




What I Love About this Mystery Quilt Along....
My original idea to have quilters create their own life's journey, started with only black and white images for the applique designs. This would allow total freedom for each person that went on this journey with me to write their own story into their quilt. This really is where the magic begins....

It's as if....I've given you a coloring book and a box of crayons; now you go interpret those pictures in your own individual way. Only we've added a twist to make it more grown up and are using delightful fabrics and colored thread, instead. I am truly amazed at the final results of your blocks.

Your creativity is shining through... with your applique color choices; your pieced block options; the added embellishments; how you interpret your blocks; the fabric choices, using your scraps and stash fabrics, adding cherished memories from clothing pieces; are all such great ways to make it your own special story.



My Goals....
1.) The project should be fun, allow creativity, and add some challenge to our current ability.
2.) Giving guidelines; so our own skills and creativity can be put into action to create a one of a kind quilt. I do prefer variety because we are not carbon copies; we are each unique individuals.
2.) To be able to use fabrics and embellishing elements that we may already have on hand.
3.) To have options that allow a broader range of quilters to join in; regardless of skill level.
4.) Working on one lesson at a time allows us to focus only on that portion; without feeling overwhelmed by the larger picture. (Which of course, is part of the mystery!)
5.) Flexibility continues as we build the quilt; because each block is done separately. This gives each of us the ability to add our own twist in the final arrangement of the blocks.
7.) A smaller project is easier on the budget and our time; and I wanted to provide an opportunity to create a quilt along that didn't just involve pieced blocks with the end result being a bed size quilt.
8.) To challenge myself with this first attempt to teach others what I have learned and share my ideas to make quilting a great (online) experience for those of us that can't travel to quilting classes.


I look forward to seeing how many variations there will be when we all get to arrange our quilt blocks into the final layouts. Thank you for trusting me as I unlock each week's lesson to build a unique quilt that tells a story of our life's journey.



Valentine's Share the Love Draw....
Okay, it is time to reveal the three winners for this Share the Love prize draw.





Congratulations go to:

1.)  Diane in Delaware
2.)  Starchaser 06
3.)  Michelle Collette








Please email me (info@darlee.ca) so I know which email address to send your free pattern. Go to my Craftsy store to make your selection. Then email me this information. Thank you for joining this quilt along.



Happy Quilting.....



No comments: