Friday, April 27, 2012

Tweet Tweet

I realize that many times over the past few years, I have had a lack of desire to quilt and/or blog, so if you have not seen me lately, it's because I was busy working on projects that were not quilt related.

Recently, my attention was redirected to working on a project for my sister. She wanted birdhouses, but I couldn't figure out what to do, so in the meantime, I dug out a book I've reviewed in 2010, "Nature's Elegance" by Jan Kornfeind. This was a design I really liked and am happy to have the opportunity to create it now.  This project is also the first quilt that I actually have completely finished, since doing my 2010 Quilt Challenge. 

Fabrics



Quilt chosen:  "From A Baltimore Garden Wall Hanging"

There are two quilts in this book that have birds on them, and so I was able to take elements from both projects. The first was the applique design and border choices, and the second from the other quilt was choosing to use a darker background fabric for the center block, instead of a cream print fabric.

I used a dark green thread to do the applique stitching around the applique pieces. Then, using a darker blue thread to do shadow quilting around the design; and some stitching in the ditch around the borders.  


Placing the Applique Pieces

Closeup of the Vase and Stems

Closeup of the Bird

Complete with Borders


The quilt design measures 28" x 30" in the book. Since I used fat quarters for the quilt top, not including the applique, I only needed to adjust the width of the outer border. This made the finished quilt size at 26" x 28". I also used two tiny square buttons for the bird's eyes. These I stitched on with orange thread to make them look more like real eyes.



 Finished Quilt




Happy Quilting
Cheers,

No comments: