It's time to share my next SCRAPPY quilt design!! This one is also from quiltville.com. Originally, when I first looked at Bonnie's site, I picked out two of her free patterns to try. I had just enough of the thin, blue fabric to use for the foundation material.
Once again, I began covering my foundation pieces with fabric strings (1.5" wide and less), until completely covered. After all the pieces were done, the ends were cut down to form a point.
|Foundation Fabric Covered with Strings/Ends Cut to A Point|
To see the overall effect and help me decide what fabric to choose for finishing the blocks, I laid them all on the floor (my design wall).
|Pieces Laid Out As Per Design|
I had several shades of blue in fat quarters, and cut out the required pieces. Only after they were cut out, did I work out the placement for the blue fabrics. I ended up with an overall balanced theme that I was happy with. The next step was to sew the blue triangles to the main pieces.
Sorry for the poor photo. I don't usually stop sewing just to wait until the next day, for daylight, for better photo ops.
Here is a closeup, to show you a better view of the X-block.
One thing I had difficulty with was choosing the fabrics for the borders. When doing scrappy quilts, I think staying with the fabrics I have, should suffice. But, not always does that plan work out as one thinks.
Therefore, it took some time to work out what I would do. That was when I decided to add a strip of orange mock piping. And, much later, I added the white and orange borders.
|Mock Piping and Borders|
This project: 48 single blocks in total. Four blocks sewn together were trimmed to 14" square. Borders were cut at: white-2.5"; orange-3.5".
My Finished Quilt Top
|String-X Quilt! (approx. 50" x 63.5")|
Thanks to Bonnie Hunter for inspiring me to try this scrappy technique for quilting!! I will be posting two more of her quilt designs, coming soon...
Hope you enjoyed this project. Until next time... cheers to you all!!