Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Strings with an X-Factor!

It's time to share my next SCRAPPY quilt design!! This one is also from quiltville.com. Originally, when I first looked at Bonnie's site, I picked out two of her free patterns to try. I had just enough of the thin, blue fabric to use for the foundation material.
 
Scrappy Strings

Once again, I began covering my foundation pieces with fabric strings (1.5" wide and less), until completely covered. After all the pieces were done, the ends were cut down to form a point.

Foundation Fabric Covered with Strings/Ends Cut to A Point

To see the overall effect and help me decide what fabric to choose for finishing the blocks, I laid them all on the floor (my design wall).

Pieces Laid Out As Per Design

I had several shades of blue in fat quarters, and cut out the required pieces. Only after they were cut out, did I work out the placement for the blue fabrics. I ended up with an overall balanced theme that I was happy with. The next step was to sew the blue triangles to the main pieces.

Sorry for the poor photo. I don't usually stop sewing just to wait until the next day, for daylight, for better photo ops.

X-design Construction

Here is a closeup, to show you a better view of the X-block.

Quilt Top--Closeup

One thing I had difficulty with was choosing the fabrics for the borders. When doing scrappy quilts, I think staying with the fabrics I have, should suffice. But, not always does that plan work out as one thinks.

Therefore, it took some time to work out what I would do. That was when I decided to add a strip of orange mock piping. And, much later, I added the white and orange borders.

Mock Piping and Borders

This project: 48 single blocks in total. Four blocks sewn together were trimmed to 14" square. Borders were cut at: white-2.5"; orange-3.5".



My Finished Quilt Top
String-X Quilt!  (approx. 50" x 63.5")
 
Thanks to Bonnie Hunter for inspiring me to try this scrappy technique for quilting!! I will be posting two more of her quilt designs, coming soon...
 
Please visit her website or blog, for more details on this pattern.
 
 
Hope you enjoyed this project. Until next time... cheers to you all!!
 

No comments: