Sunday, November 20, 2011

Going Scrappy!

What does one do--when their fused applique supply has run out and the fabrics in the stash are not the latest designs?  One would be... go buy more! Another would be... just use what one has at home. 

Well, my dilemna was eliminated when I figured it was time to go SCRAPPY!!  So, I can experience for myself what those quilters that love scrappy quilts are talking about.

So, after going through my fabric pieces that I had sorted into separate colors to use for applique and those smaller fat quarters and other remnants of fabric. I started cutting them into strips and squares. I will deal with those squares in another posting.

Cutting the Fabrics into Strips

I did an online search, and came up with some great ideas! This is what I did with that mess of strips...

The website that got me started had me inspired to try out several variations, that will begin with this posting. And, who don't love a FREE pattern to try out a technique, not yet tried. 

The pattern is called: String Quilting Primer

The Block

I used a foundation piece (blue) to sew the strips onto, which was a very thin fabric that I had no other purpose for using. And, I also used the same fabric for the center strip in each block. My foundation piece was 8" square. After trimming it was 7 1/2" square. In total, I made 48 blocks.

Starting With Center Strip


Foundation Fabric Covered Completely
Trimming the Block - 7.5"

Looking Beautiful--Not Bad From A Pile of Strips

After I had sewn the strips onto the 48 foundation fabric pieces, it was time to decide where to go from here. Originally, I had thought I'd make two smaller quilts, but decided to use them all in one quilt top, instead.

Assembling the Blocks

Then, I added the same fabric as was used in the center of each block and added another border to finish at 50" x 64". That is where I'll leave it, for now, ready to quilt later.

Adding the Borders (width: light pink 2"; bright pink 3")

My String Quilting Primer Quilt Top
Finished Quilt Top  (approx. 50" x 64")
Thanks to Bonnie Hunter for inspiring me to try this scrappy technique for quilting!! I will be posting three more of her quilt designs, coming soon...

For more on Bonnie's quilts, visit: http://quiltville.com/

Hope you enjoyed this project. Until next time... cheers to you all!
  



No comments: