Sunday, September 5, 2010

No Border Limits

Book:
Beautiful Borders Backings & Bindings/ Jill Reber and Margaret Sindelar

Time to reveal my next project... I choose the “Orange Blossom Table Runner” on page 79. If you find that making the same type or shape of quilt gets tiring, why not try something different? Here, a table runner meets that need for a change of pace.

DSC09879 Book, Fabrics

As I was running out of quilting books from my own library that I hadn't at least tried one project from, I found this one. The project provided several different aspects I hadn’t worked much with and so it would be a great effort to see how it turned out.


Construction Process

The instructions for this project are easy to follow and it really comes together quite quickly. Other projects in this book with more complex designs will of course take more time to complete, but still very rewarding.

The center three blocks are put together with simple piecing and machine applique with one wide border to complete the quilt top. The piping is added to the edge before the layers are sewn together; and then turned right side out so the piping is on the outside edge. Remember to leave a small opening so it can be turned!

Pieces For Center BlocksDSC09886

Close-up of Block DSC09947

Adding the BorderDSC09944 

Several years back, I had bought some cording for another project but never ended up using it. So, thought I’d better use it, even though it was very bulky. I secretly hoped I wouldn't find it, so I could buy cord that was narrower, but I found it.

I definitely would recommend using a narrower cord, and since I don’t have a piping foot for my sewing machine, it was difficult to encase into the bias strip. However, it’s the effort that counts, I’d say, that is important when trying new or more difficult techniques. 

The fabric for the piping is cut on the bias and it really goes easily around the curved edge. I used a dinner plate to cut the curve for the quilt corners.
 
Cutting the CornersDSC09949


The corners on the border fabric, were also cut on the bias so the strip on the fabric would go outward as they did on the side borders. That is why a striped fabric was chosen for the border. I would have preferred a less bold fabric but that was about all that I had for this application. And, so cut the width of the borders narrower. 

Finished Piping EdgeDSC00347


This is only one way to finish a quilt and if you love adding borders to your projects, but run out of ideas, check out this book for lots of inspiration. My project this time, seems so plain compared to the many great ideas you'll have to choose from.

Sometime, I'll need to try out a fancy block border on a quilt. Perhaps, a simple center block surrounded with a complex outer border would look terrific. (I.E. using a medalion block or scenic print for the center)


My Finished QuiltDSC00357 Finished Size: 15.5” x 31”


More…
In my last post, I forgot to tell you what new adventure I’m embarking on... so you’ll have to wait now until next week to find out. As I changed some topics around from what was planned, I’ll have actual results to share, if I wait!!

My book review list is now on its own page, so if you’d like to see what techniques I’ve covered so far, it’s all there.

Happy Quilting…

2 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Fun to see another new project up! I've sold 90% of my quilt books or I'd be tempted to do the same thing next year.
Thanks for sharing. I'm in the 'love change' camp. Sharyn

Flora said...

I enjoyed reading about this project and found it interesting to see a runner quilt. My favorite pictures were the book and fabrics, and adding the border. Enjoy your new adventure!