Sunday, April 25, 2010

Paper Templates

TEMPLATE QUESTIONS:

Why use a template? 
Templates are a necessary step for creating those odd shapes required for some quilting techniques.

What materials have been available for me?
Looking back in time, people used whatever materials that were available to them. I have enjoyed using all the new innovations that are available now, as I began my quilting journey only about 8-9 years ago. There are more tools and techniques available today that make our quilting journey much easier and fun!

When did I need templates for a quilting project?
The time I needed special templates was for a quilting workshop that I took in 2008. The process seemed much more difficult then I thought was necessary. That project is still waiting for completion.

How do I make my templates now?
As I understand progress, doing things in a new way for simplicity and greater success is why I make my templates out of paper, not plastic. Yes, that's right!!

As I see it, however fun a workshop is to learn a new technique, the desired goal is to complete a quilt. Now, I know that even though that seems simple, it may not always turn out that way, every time. 


HERE'S HOW I MAKE TEMPLATES:
These templates were for a project that needed several baby blocks in three different colors. By using paper templates, I can get to the sewing process more quickly.


Step 1.
The materials I will need are: fabrics, paper pattern, scissors, scotch tape, and my rotary cutting tools.

Step 1:  Rotary Tools


Step 2.
The pattern is either printed out or drawn onto white paper and then cut out. Then is attached to the fabric with small pieces of scotch tape, just enough to hold them in place.

Step 2:  Attaching the Template


Step 3.

From that, I just need to cut them out. I usually line up the sewing line with a 1/4" allowance added. This way if I don't have a seam allowance added on the pattern, it adds it for me when I cut.

These photos show the seam allowance added. Generally, I do not add seam allowances to a pattern, because I can easily add it when cutting my fabric pieces in this step. As when I do fusible applique, I do not need seam allowances, so then I would place the edge of the ruler without a seam allowance added.  

Step 3:  Cutting out the Template


The Paper Template:
  • Easily converts the pattern design to template pieces.
  • Time is saved because either it is printed or drawn out only once onto paper.
  • Lasts for many uses with the use of rotary cutting tools.
  • The cutting method automatically adds the seam allowances.
  • Once the paper design is printed and cut out, it is ready to lay onto the fabric.
  • No need to add seam allowances to the template before cutting the fabric.
  • No special markers or template materials are required.
Bonus: No extra time is needed to draw the shapes onto the plastic sheet, cut them out, then trace around the template to draw the shape onto the fabric and then finally ready to cut the fabric.


EIGHTH PROJECT - MAY 2010:



My eighth project will be shared next week...


The Bargello Quilt Book/
by Piecemakers





Enjoy your quilting adventure for... 2010!!

No comments: