Sunday, February 7, 2010

You Are Doing, What?

Have you ever been told that you can't do what you have in mind and then go and do it anyways, or find a new way to use something we think is unusable? And, then everyone is amazed afterwards...

Well... if you have, I am thankful for your determination to bring change to allow new ideas to blossom. Yes, there are proper ways to do everything. And, for most of us usually the way we've been taught to do that thing, is how we keep doing it. But... why not change it or create new ways to doing that thing?

Last year, I discovered one such wonderful idea... and it has inspired me and many other people, as well. For a look, you may check out Karen's blog for lots of inspiration. Now, when others say to you, "You can't do anything with that?" you can smile, and say, "Just watch me!!"

[Selvage edge cut 1 1/2" wide]

Anyways, that is how I view quilting today, because of the creativity and new techniques, it is just plain FUN to be a part of this adventure and such a great opportunity to learn and challenge one's own abilities.


BEING RESOURCEFUL

My supply of selvage edges is very small, so far. However, I look forward to collecting more selvages as I quilt my way through 2010. It will give me opportunity to add to my selvage pail. One place that I did think of looking was in my fabric scrap drawer. And, it surprised me that I found all these just waiting for me to discover...

[Selvages - from fabric scrap drawer]

The fabric selvage edges will be used to create squares, triangles, and long blocks to be used in creating unique quilts.

Have you ever thought selvages from fabric could be so delightful? For my next project, I will show you how I used my selvages and which projects from the book inspired my quilt design. This book will inspire you to use selvages to create beautiful quilts from the fabric edge that once were discarded and deemed useless.

DEFINITION:
Selvages: the edge of woven fabric finished so as to prevent ravelling, often in a narrow tape effect, different from the body of the fabric. (dictionary.com)

NEW CONCEPT:
Selvages: cut off this fabric strip (1 1/2") and save for creating colourful and unique quilting projects

Therefore... continue to have fun while discovering new ways to create beautiful projects and bring your creativity to a new level for all to enjoy!!


THIRD PROJECT - FEBRUARY 2010:


My third project will be shared next week...
Quilts from the Selvage Edge/
Karen Griska
ISBN: 978-1-57432-957-5 /






Enjoy your quilting adventure for... 2010!!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I"m totally with you on this. As soon as someone tells me I can't do that, it becomes a challenge.

Flora said...

I like those colors in the scrap drawer, especially the brown checks and the orange. Yes, I guess I'm the same if someone tells me I can't do something, I'll sure try to prove them wrong.

Selvage Quilter said...

Hi Darlee, thanks for mentioning the selvage book. I can't wait to see what you are up to! Have fun.
Karen

Darlee said...

Thanks for your comments. And, I am looking forward to posting my completed quilt - it was so delightful to work on!!