Sunday, January 24, 2010

Quilt Binding Made Easy

For some quilters this last step to completing a quilt is a daunting task... one that may be the least favorite part of quiltmaking. Why? Because.. I was one of them!!  The three parts: the hand-stitching, trying to keep that binding in place, and finishing those two loose ends...

As for the hand-stitching, I even am enjoying that step now, as for many years I tried avoiding it. I also have no problems with the binding as I press it and then use straight pins to hold it all in place, and it goes well.


Quilt Bindings


So from personal experience... wanting to do a good job, I finally decided to take the time to write up instructions in 2009 for myself, with detailed photos, so when this process was next in line, I could actually remind myself if I had forgotten. I do have it posted on my website, but last year I found an even better set of instructions and now always look forward to the binding process.

If you follow the quiltinggallery.com website you may have already benefitted from this video lesson, but if not, I wanted to share this link with you. This is my preferred method and now it is always done correctly and easily.


So, instead of a pdf lesson, even better is a video of the process, and it's like having the teacher right there beside you to show you the way. Enjoy the quilt binding video with Heidi Kaisand as she shows you how to make a continuous binding strip. Visit allpeoplequilt.com for this video.  From the menu on the left side of the screen, choose watch videos, and click on her lesson on this screen.



SECOND PROJECT - JANUARY 2010:


My second project will be shared next week...
Fantastic Fabric Folding/
Rebecca Wat
ISBN: 978-1-57120-085-3 /







Enjoy your quilting adventure for... 2010!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I HATE doing binding by hand!!! I am so glad someone else dislikes this process because I know alot of people who LOVE binding!! Never understand that!

Darlee said...

It definitely is interesting to find like-minded quilters... makes one feel more connnected.